Simi Valley Sophist

The Simi Valley Sophist ruminates on all manner of topics from the micro to the macro. SVS travels whatever path strikes his fancy. Encyclopedia Britannica: Sophist "Any of certain Greek lecturers, writers, and teachers in the 5th and 4th centuries BC, most of whom travelled about the Greek-speaking world giving instruction in a wide range of subjects in return ..."

Name:
Location: California, United States

Retired: 30years law enforcement-last 20 years Criminal Intelligence Detective.

Monday, February 05, 2007

My Friend Is Mistaken

My friend is a compassionate man. A man who has lived long and personally suffered for his country on the battlefields of Korea. He has witnessed the barbarity of war, and he is sickened by it. As well he should be. As well we should all be. My friend is also liberal, which means that his heart aches for humankind of all sorts and manners. Unfortunately, that also means that he is not holding some people accountable for their actions. He is only holding certain people accountable; notably, the Republican Party and President George W. Bush specifically. My friend is on the bandwagon for an end of the “war,” and by that he means the current conflict in Iraq. He cites the number of killed and wounded American military personnel and the concomitant Iraqi losses. Despite the human suffering, the numbers pale in comparison to the losses over similar periods of time in previous wars. That doesn’t make it any less despicable, if just makes the numbers argument irrelevant when considering what the Islamo-fascists have in mind for the “infidel” world, which includes fellow Muslims and my friend’s grandchildren. Why is that? It’s because to the Islamo-fascist, Iraq is only the current and main front to the quest for worldwide Islamic domination. I don’t just say it. They say it.

Was that unfair of me to mention my friend’s grandchildren? Was it a hit bellow the belt? I don’t think so. He just doesn’t believe that the current Islamo-fascist threat is all that bad. I have to assume that latter point because he is an intelligent man, and I know from reading his columns that he loves his grandchildren. He would not consciously argue for a philosophy that he thought would put his kin in harm’s way. But, he does.

I have tried to nudge him toward the reality of today through personal e-mails. Obviously, I have not succeeded. I’d love for him, and all of you, to be able to sit in on the briefings that I receive on the reality of the Islamo-fascist agenda. If you did, this country would have no significant divide on the issues.

In some ways, I can not blame my friend because he is not privy to the information that I receive. However, most of what I receive can easily be obtained from open source material available to all. It simply requires that a diligent student shun the sound byte main stream media and begin reading and listening. It takes a little effort and time away from the idiot tube.

How is it then that the opposition members of Congress, who have access to the real information, can possibly hold the positions that they do? The answer lies somewhere along the line running from political charlatans and personal aggrandizement, ignorance, naiveté, cowardice, apologists, and old warriors determined that the younger generations not suffer their personal war tragedies.

But, relative to the current Islamo-fascist threat, somebody has to be the Spartans of the world. Someone has to step forward and stop the Persians (read Muslims) from taking all of the Greek cities and conquering the civilized world. Sparta did that until the Athenians got their act together and joined the fight. Do you see any parallels here? If you don’t, you just might be a liberal.

My friend writes about Pres. George W. Bush,

He can't hear the sobbing.He can't internalize the grief of war.

Oh yes he can. How do I know that? I know it because the man has a heart that relates to the little people, the security personnel that serve him. Those that directly serve him, love him. That’s quite unlike many of those who were, recently tried to be, or would be President from the Democratic Party. They are hated because they treat others as beneath them.

Who is my friend? Well, Al Martinez, of course. I only assume that I’m his friend because he once said that we were. I wonder if he now regrets that comment. Read Al’s latest column, “A healing heart, an aching heart.” He’s a fine writer. God, I wish I could write well enough, write something that would strike his heart as true so that he might see the light.