Simi Valley Sophist

The Simi Valley Sophist ruminates on all manner of topics from the micro to the macro. SVS travels whatever path strikes his fancy. Encyclopedia Britannica: Sophist "Any of certain Greek lecturers, writers, and teachers in the 5th and 4th centuries BC, most of whom travelled about the Greek-speaking world giving instruction in a wide range of subjects in return ..."

Name:
Location: California, United States

Retired: 30years law enforcement-last 20 years Criminal Intelligence Detective.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

San Francisco, Magnet for Political Rot

In my blog “Old Glory Proudly Flown or Not,” I recounted that I would soon be heading on my motorcycle to San Francisco, and that I expected to be within the belly of the beast. The beast, of course, is leftist political persuasion. I specifically “called out,” to use the language of a commenter, the cities of San Francisco, Berkeley, and Santa Cruz. I did not make a blanket statement accusing the general San Francisco Bay environs of being leftist, ungrateful and self-absorbed. Quite the contrary and I don’t need to rehash it here. The curious reader can follow the link to the previous blog.

On previous trips to the Bay area, I noted a general absence of American flags and support the troops stickers, which were in plentiful display in many cities. My previous blog prediction that this trip would be a fairly lonely one pertaining to the display of the American flag was dead-on in Santa Cruz and San Francisco. I did not venture to Berkeley, but I know the area quite well having grown-up in the East SF Bay area and I predict that it would be the same, at least around UC Berkeley.

I did see American flags flown at residences in rural areas south of San Francisco. And, there were lots of American flags for sale in an Aptos hardware store, south of Santa Cruz. Coincidentally, Aptos is the place where the handful of Moonbats celebrated burning the American flag.

I knew that I was getting close to San Francisco when I stopped at Alice’s Restaurant, a well known motorcycle rider stopping point in the coastal mountains south of the city by the bay. Parked at the restaurant was the Ducati motorcycle pictured here. It speaks for itself.

Patriotism is not a conservative versus liberal issue. However, American patriotism definitely is not a hallmark of leftists. And, areas which have a greater number of leftists appear to be the same areas which not only are not demonstrative about showing the flag, but are most likely hostile to the flag.

One correspondent living in San Francisco advised that he delights in wearing an American flag as a lapel pin because it seems to visibly disturb so many people in the “City.” When I pointed out that within San Francisco County/City that approximately 25% of the electorate vote conservatively, he opined that there is a lot of intimidation that is likely acting as an inhibitor to flying the flag.

My American flag was flown from the rear of my motorcycle. I saw only one other vehicle flying an American flag in San Francisco during my 3 day stay. That flag was on the rear of a San Francisco Police Department motorcycle. Thank you SFPD.

Some political observers contend that the leaders of the Democratic Party have abandoned liberalism and crossed over to European leftist positions.

Democratic Sen. Zell Miller stated:

… our nation is being torn apart and made weaker because of the Democrats' manic obsession to bring down our commander in chief.

What has happened to the party I've spent my life working in? I can remember when Democrats believed that it was the duty of America to fight for freedom over tyranny. It was Democratic President Harry Truman who pushed the Red Army out of Iran, who came to the aid of Greece when Communists threatened to
overthrow it, who stared down the Soviet blockade of West Berlin by flying in supplies and saving the city.


But don't waste your breath telling that to the leaders of my party today. In their warped way of thinking, America is the problem, not the solution. They don't believe there is any real danger in the world except that which America brings upon itself through our clumsy and misguided foreign policy.
Referring to the Democratic Party again, Miller stated:

It is not their patriotism, it is their judgment that has been so sorely lacking.
I think that Zell is partially wrong on that one. It’s no doubt true for the majority of Democrats, but it is not true for the Democratic Party leftists.

If you don’t think nationally, you can’t possibly be patriotic. The leftists, “citizens of the world,” anarchists, and many foreign nationals are not American patriots. These people do not represent just another point of view. They represent a growing threat to all that is American. In other words, these people have declared war on the United States in one form or another.

San Francisco is a beautiful city rich in history. I enjoy much of the City, but the politics of many of the residents blankets the City like a fog and reeks from the stench of a leftist agenda. The City is a magnet for disgusting political rot.