Simi Valley Sophist

The Simi Valley Sophist ruminates on all manner of topics from the micro to the macro. SVS travels whatever path strikes his fancy. Encyclopedia Britannica: Sophist "Any of certain Greek lecturers, writers, and teachers in the 5th and 4th centuries BC, most of whom travelled about the Greek-speaking world giving instruction in a wide range of subjects in return ..."

Name:
Location: California, United States

Retired: 30years law enforcement-last 20 years Criminal Intelligence Detective.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I’ve Never Understood the Hunger Strike

Cindy Sheehan announced that she and others are going on a hunger strike, a food fast if you may. Cindy’s tour of duty is from 7/4/06 until 9/2/06. Code Pink is sponsoring the fast. The cause is the demand to bring the troops home from Iraq.

Judging by the number of hunger strikes for a multitude of causes, the technique must have some value on focusing attention on the target issue. But, for the life of me I can’t figure out why it should work. If it were up to me, I’d not lift a hand to dissuade the hunger striker, and I would not cave in to his demands. I’d admire someone’s misplaced determination, and then I’d wish them a nice day and walk away. The way I figure it, if someone wants to starve himself to death, so be it. I don’t suppose we’d be so lucky to have Cindy whither away. She’s not dedicated enough to sacrifice her own life for her cause. I suspect this is her latest gimmick to get garner some media attention.

HT Michelle Malkin