Simi Valley Sophist

The Simi Valley Sophist ruminates on all manner of topics from the micro to the macro. SVS travels whatever path strikes his fancy. Encyclopedia Britannica: Sophist "Any of certain Greek lecturers, writers, and teachers in the 5th and 4th centuries BC, most of whom travelled about the Greek-speaking world giving instruction in a wide range of subjects in return ..."

Name:
Location: California, United States

Retired: 30years law enforcement-last 20 years Criminal Intelligence Detective.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Agenda, Low Grades & Snobbery...

I recently cancelled my subscription to the LA Times because I got fed up with the paper’s agenda being expressed in the news and not curtailed to the editorial/opinion pages. The customer service representative was very nice and tried to induce me into remaining a LA Times customer by offering the paper at a reduced rate. When I declined the offer, he asked why I was canceling the paper. I stated the agenda thing noted above, and he asked if I thought the paper was to “conservative.” Now that’s a hoot! I explained that it was not a matter of too liberal or too conservative and what I expected in a paper was balanced news reporting. He told me he was sorry that I was canceling and that was that.

My cancellation was really just a “making a statement” sort of thing since I was reading the LA Times on-line and continue to do so. Just because the paper is a liberal, or should I say leftist, outlet does not mean that I should quit reading it. I just make sure that I take any article with a heaping handful of salt. You’ve got to pay attention to the enemy to know what he is saying. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about when I say the paper’s news reflect an agenda.

Today’s LA Times has an article entitled, “Kerry Makes His Military, Medical File Available.” The article is based upon the military files finally released to the Boston Globe. Mind you, the Globe got the files not the LA Times, and therefore only the Globe really knows what is in them. It is alleged that there is no damaging information about Kerry’s wartime experience. So, the question is why did Kerry refuse to release the files during the presidential campaign? The Globe answers the question in its article, here, wherein we learn that Kerry is no great scholar while at Yale and that he had a slightly lower grade score than Pres. Bush. See my previous posting on Kerry's grades here.

Despite the following LA Times statement, “But Kerry's reluctance to provide easy access to records that buttressed his war resume remains one of the more puzzling aspects of his campaign strategy.” The paper’s article had nothing in it referencing the grades. They will undoubtedly argue that the real story is that nothing untoward was learned about Kerry’s military stint. I searched the entire edition for any mention of the Kerry Yale grades. Are you surprised that none were found? I wasn’t. The Times does not want you to know that Kerry is no intellectual giant. The news of Kerry’s Yale grades is a blow to the intellectual snobbery of the leftist portion of the Democratic party. Despite all their campaign rhetoric, it turns out that their champion is not a great scholar. But, he is a loser in the hopeful presidential arena. And, that’s a good thing.