Simi Valley Sophist

The Simi Valley Sophist ruminates on all manner of topics from the micro to the macro. SVS travels whatever path strikes his fancy. Encyclopedia Britannica: Sophist "Any of certain Greek lecturers, writers, and teachers in the 5th and 4th centuries BC, most of whom travelled about the Greek-speaking world giving instruction in a wide range of subjects in return ..."

Name:
Location: California, United States

Retired: 30years law enforcement-last 20 years Criminal Intelligence Detective.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Answer to Cancer…

The headline reads, “Cancer is Cut by an Aggressive Regimen.” The article is specifically about improving the outcome of breast cancer through the use of aggressive post-surgical regimens. The article states, “…a major international analysis that indicates the often-arduous regimes do cure many women.”

The Western medical establishment is very good at reactive medicine. By that, I mean that once there are physical manifestations of the disease, the establishment chops, burns and poisons the body in an attempt to rid it of any remaining cancerous cells. Unfortunately, many times cancerous cells have escaped from the primary malignancy site and hide out anywhere in the body.

Such is often the case in breast cancer and melanoma, the latter of which I developed back in 1988. I had the surgery, but in my particular form of melanoma, chemotherapy and radiation were judged to be non-effective. Thus, I am not able to relate to many cancer survivors who did suffer through the various assaults to the body post-surgery. I subsequently learned that the post-surgery survivability for my form of disease was 8% at five years. I was fortunate to be admitted to the melanoma vaccine program at the John Wayne Cancer Clinic, which at that time was located at U.C.L.A. And, 16 years later I am still here, though I get a mole patrol from my dermatologist every six months and visit my oncologist twice annually.

The pronouncement of cancer strikes fear to the heart and often invokes the language of war: battle; war against…; victim; and survivor. The truth of the matter is that cancer is self. So, when we adopt the war symbolism, we are literally declaring war on our own body. Many in the alternative medical movement consider the war imagery to be self-defeating. Whether it is or not is a matter of conjecture as anecdotal evidence exists on both sides of the aisle.

I am here today, I believe, chiefly as a result of excellent surgeons and the innovative intervention of Western medicine. However, I can not be entirely sure since I was a recipient of alternative intervention as well. Additionally, my nature is to move forward with solutions without suffering the emotional paralysis and depression that cancer invokes in many others. Depression suppresses the immune system, which is exactly the opposite of what you want.

What I now realize, years after the fact, is that Western medicine did not suggest that I should work on creating a whole healthy body. Maybe that’s because they did not expect me to last long. The truth of the matter is that our body is continuously creating cancer cells, which are subsequently destroyed by the immune system. We get “cancer” when the immune system is suppressed allowing the single mutated cell to multiply. Cancer kills by the invasion of and taking over of organs. Sometimes it is a slow process and sometimes it is an aggressive process.

I believe that if we are to really beat cancer, we must adopt techniques to keep our bodies functioning every day in an optimal manner. That means making many changes in the way we interact with our environment, which is toxic and getting more so.

Back to the assertion of the article quoted above that the aggressive regimes “cure cancer.” Do these regimes cure cancer? No, they seek to remove the current expression of the lethal threat. We must abandon the cure mentality and realize that our goal must be one of boosting the mechanisms of natural defense. It is sort of like fighting terrorism, we will never beat it, but we might suppress it sufficiently that it does not kill the body.